Saturday 30 July 2011

Skin SOS : Dry Skin Remedy



The scrub should look like this!
I recently purchased some over the counter acne cream after being recommended it by the pharmacist and whilst it has worked wonders on that I am left with a different problem... Extremely dry, sore skin


This is something I have never experienced on my face and I have been lost as to what to do to both relieve and restore my skin.

My face wash and regular skin care routine is aimed at combination acne prone skin and so I am stuck with a lot of products that seem to just aggravate my dry chin and cheek areas. I don't really want to get another chemical based cream to cure my dry skin problem and would like something more natural to try and get things back to normal first - obviously if this continues I may have to go back and ask for another cream to fix my skin.

HOWEVER! I tried making a face scrub a while ago using sugar, honey and extra virgin olive oil and found it too oily for my skin! After feeling baffled about what to do as my previous efforts had little to no relief I figured I'd give the concoction another try.

These ingredients are amazing! Sugar is a great natural exfoliator, honey has antibacterial qualities and is great for reducing inflamation whilst olive oil is intensively nourishing. 

To make the scrub you will need:
(Enough to make at least 4 applications)

* Granulated sugar (I used organic to make sure it contained no added surprises!)
* Clear honey (I used local honey but any should be fine!)
* Extra virgin olive oil.
* Table spoon.
* Small bowl or container.

Firstly add three heaped table spoons of sugar into the bowl. Add three tablespoons of olive oil - I did this before the honey as it helps the honey not stick to the spoon. Finally add two tablespoons of honey and combine to make a thick paste.

I hoped in the shower for this next step as it can get rather sticky and messy!
Wash your face and make sure to remove any make up or skin products then apply a generous coating of the mixture onto your affected areas - this also works wonders on my dry knees and elbows!

Using a light hand, gently rub the mixture in circles to help remove any lose dead skin cells - be very careful as this could make your face hurt if you have dry or cracked skin; if this is the case skip the massaging step.

Leave the mixture on for a few minutes and then rinse off throughly - I recommend closing your eyes tightly as the sugar is scratchy!

After you rinise everything off your face, or elbows and knees, should feel soft and smooth unless you have crazy dry skin like mine currently is and then it just feels soothed and less hot and itchy.

The feeling didn't last terribly long before it became hot and tight feeling again and so I used the extra virgin olive oil as a moisturising oil. It is extremely moisturising and is also non comedogenic and so it won't clog your pores!

To use the extra virgin olive oil as a moisturising oil treatment I simply poured a smallish amoutn into a bowl and soaked a cotton pad in it and then applied it to the very dry areas on my face so I had a thin layer of oil on the surface.

I will continue this for a few days and if it doesn't work I have a couple more ideas about how to solve my dry skin problems! 

I just wanted to add that I have a new found respect for people who have dry skin, I have always had combination / oily skin and never appreciated how much harder and painful dry skin can be manage. Prior to this episode, I always thought dry skin would be better... I am not so sure any more!

xxVickyxx


No comments:

Post a Comment