Saturday 30 July 2011

Embellishing a sunhat

For a surprise for a friend of mine, I have been looking for a cute sunhat for her son who is a little over a year old. Most of the things I had found had fallen short of what I wanted so when I found this Child's plain navy hat (for the bargain price of £1 from Tesco), I knew I had a fun quick project on my hands.

Things needed:
* Scraps of felt.
* Hat or item you want to embellish.
* Needle and Thread.
* Scissors.

The plain hat looked like this:
Cute, plain navy little hat, 
just waiting to be transformed mildly.
I didn't want to over decorate the hat and wanted it be cute enough but not overly twee or fussy. I also wanted to make sure that there was nothing on the hat that would hurt him, so I used felt and no buttons.

I chose giraffes as I know the new owner of the hat is partial to them, in the way we all have favourites and I have some nice scraps of orange felt in excess from when I made cat toys for Christmas. I carefully folded the felt, faintly traced my desired shape and snipped them out with my sewing scissors, taking care not to tear the delicate pieces. I sewed them on using embroidery thread and decorated it with French knots for the horns and simple stitches for the wildly inaccurate but pretty effective giraffe pattern.
Embellished sun hat!

The result so far! I am still playing around with the idea with putting his name on it somewhere in the middle as it looks a little vacant but I am happy with this.

xxVickyxx

No comments:

Post a Comment