Saturday 30 July 2011

How to condition hair with pure coconut oil

Pure coconut oil is a cheap and effective hair conditioner, and I find that it makes hair glossy and manageable, without any of the sticky residue that commercial conditioners can leave behind. The trick is to leave the right balance of oil in the hair, so that each strand is thinly coated but without a greasy build-up.



First, get a dish or bowl to contain the coconut oil - I usually use a small ramekin dish. 

Then choose the amount of oil you want to use. I have very long, thick hair, so I use a chunk about the size of two squares of chocolate. You may want to use more or less depending on your own hair length and volume.

The solid oil should be melted into a liquid before you use it. You can do this easily by placing the dish on top of a hot radiator for a while before use, or alternatively, you could fill a larger bowl with very hot water and place the bowl with the coconut oil inside it to melt it.

Shampoo and rinse your hair as you would normally, then take the dish with the melted oil and work it into your hair with your fingers. Pay particular attention to the ends of your hair, and try to distribute the oil evenly.

When the oil has been massaged in thoroughly, take the dish that contained the oil and squirt a little shampoo into the bottom (I use a dot about the size of a five pence piece). Fill the dish with a few inches of water and mix to a mild, soapy lather.

Use the diluted shampoo to wash the oil out again! This step is the hardest, as you don't want to wash the oil out completely - just leave a little to coat the hair and condition it. I find I can usually tell when I've got the right balance if the wet hair feels just subtly different when stroked with my fingertips.

Let your hair dry normally. I always towel dry, which gets great results, but as yet I haven't tried blow-drying my hair after using this method.

I really recommend pure coconut oil as a conditioner - not only does it make my hair very shiny and soft, it's also wonderful for frizz control!

xxVickyxx

No comments:

Post a Comment