Saturday 30 July 2011

Hammer Time :)

Stop! Hammer-making time!

Stuck for ideas on how to finish that last bit of cosplay outfit off?
Feel like smashing something without the consequences of actually breaking things?
Too much duct tape to hand?


Never fear.
Hello! I am here to bring a little something different to the blog, I hope it helps!

This summer, I was cosplaying as the character Ramona Flowers from Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim series. I highly recommend it! I had decided I wanted my iteration to have a hammer similar to the one she used in her fight against Roxy Ricter, and although its not an exact replica, it did well and was a lot of fun to play around with. Apologies in advance for the photograph quality, I didn't think I would really be making a tutorial for this originally.

Things you will need:
  • This page open most likely!
  • 2 x Car sponges (you can use smaller ones if you wanted a smaller hammer)
  • Duct tape (I chose silver for that metallic look that hammers do so well)
  • Wool/string
  • A pole of some description ( I used a strange water pump pistol that a bought from a Poundshop, but I think many other things can be substituted, such as maybe a short piece of wood for a more realistic looking result)




First things first, you will probably want to see how this is all going to fit together. Fiddle with it until you are happy. I anticipated using three sponges, but only ended up using two so experiment away! When you have it in the way you like it, tie one side carefully with the wool or string. The colour of the wool is not really a problem as it's going to be covered by duct tape.












I wanted it to be secure so I went a little bit overboard with the wool, but it held securely which was the best bit. Getting the duct tape to stick to the sponge is hard at first, but if you get a long length and stick it to itself around the sponge it helps a lot. I didn't take any pictures at this point because I was enjoying myself too much. Another thing to note is that the scissors I used to cut the Duct tape were getting gunked up with adhesive so I cleaned them with nail varnish remover wipes afterwards.

After all the toiling away, this was the result!






I hope this tutorial was of use to someone out there! Thanks for reading 

xxVickyxx

No comments:

Post a Comment